ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION VACANCY
ASSOCIATION OF SOCIAL WORKERS, INC.
750 First Street, NE. Ste. 700
Washington, DC 20002
Presently qualified staff are urged to apply
TITLE: Senior Editor (Union)
Pay Level: VI
DIVISION: NASW NEWS
Writes and edits content for print and digital media platforms for NASW News and NASW's SocialWorkersSpeak.org and SocialWorkBlog.org blogs. Work activities are performed under general supervision.
BASIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researches and investigates national and local issues important to NASW members. Works with Managing Editor to conceive story ideas; conducts interviews, writes articles and obtains photographs for NASW News. Looks for ways to incorporate multimedia elements.li>
- Researches and writes articles for NASW blogs and edits blog content from NASW staff as assigned.
- Covers press conferences, meetings and professional conferences. Writes content on issues discussed during these events to be published in print and online. Li>
- Keeps current on developments in assigned areas of print and online coverage, maintaining contact with relevant staff and outside sources.
- Assists the Managing Editor with proofreading and copy-editing as needed. Reviews and corrects News page proofs before they go to press. Also edits online content for blogs and other social media. Li>
- Takes photographs and assists with selection of photographs for NASW News and other association projects.
- Writes about five articles a month for the print News, plus a feature article every other month. Assists Managing Editor with writing monthly News briefs.
- In charge of regular monthly items published in NASW News, including Public Eye and Member Extra..
- Writes breaking news reports and other items for socialworkers.org as assigned. Li>
- Performs first or second edits on articles for print and web as assigned.
MINIMUM WORK REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess excellent proofreading and editing skills, and be able to meet regular, recurring deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required.
- Ability to operate photographic equipment.
- Familiarity with WordPress and social media a plus.
- Requires a comprehensive knowledge of news reporting and writing techniques, familiarity with Associated Press journalistic style, and knowledge of publications.
- Requires familiarity with photography and video.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications required.
- Familiarity with the social work profession and social work issues preferred.
Requires a minimum of five years related work experience in addition to the education requirement.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history with the position announcement number #1405 to: The Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.