This is a collection of NASW’s legal and ethics topics available in an archived format from previously-presented national teleconferences by LDF and Ethics Department staffs, as well as NASW experts. Written transcripts and audio recordings included, as well as PowerPoint slides and CE post-tests.
- Social Workers and the Legal Rights of Children
- Making Ethical Decisions
- Exploring Common Ethics Dilemmas in Today’s Workplace
- Social Workers & Subpoenas
- Social Workers & the Legal Rights of Students
- Ethics in Social Work Practice: Addressing Conflicts
- HIPAA and Mental Health Privacy: What Social Workers Need to Know
- Delivering Services to Minors: Ethical and Risk Management Issues
- Social Workers and Family Law Issues for Same-sex Couples
- Ethical Issues Related to Social Workers’ Use of Social Media and Online Services
The courses listed below were developed by NASW Legal Defense Fund and Ethics Department staff members to increase the understanding of the Code of Ethics and legal pitfalls to avoid in social work practice.
- Understanding Malpractice Risk: What Social Workers Can Do (Funded by NASW Assurance Services, Inc.)
- Understanding the NASW Code of Ethics (Funded by LDF's Social Work Ethics and Law Institute (SWELI))
- An Advanced Course in Ethics and Malpractice Risk for Social Workers (Funded by NASW Assurance Services, Inc.)
This series of six online HIPAA courses is available for social workers to meet HIPAA training requirements. Brought to you by the NASW Legal Defense Fund and HIPAA Professor, Inc. Medelearn. Earn up to one (1) CE credit per course. Discounted registration rates available to NASW members.
- Understanding HITECH Course
- Basic HIPAA Privacy Course
- Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Client's Rights
- HIPAA Security Course